Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Taking on a new perspective

Today was our second full day in Cape Town.  I started on time today, however it was a rough morning after my interesting shower experience.  My roommate Simone and I woke up extra early to shower before breakfast and we have figured out that the showers only stay hot for about one minute intervals.  After these time frames the showers become extremely cold.  This is not really how I like to wake up in the morning, but I am adapting, and may or may not shower for the rest of the trip.  Just kidding:) The rest of my morning was filled with an informative lecture given by Alan Jansen, our program director, on the history/background of Cape Town.  One interesting concept that I pulled from the lecture was the idea that everyone has different perceptions.  I have entered an entirely new culture that is incredibly different from my home in Woodbury, Minnesota.  The point is, I am challenging myself to take on a new perspective, and just because it is outside my norm, does not mean it should be considered abnormal.  I think it’s difficult to think this way because we have engraved in our minds that our way, is the best way.  In fact, something that I have observed in the past two days here is how “American” our food has been.  Last night we were told we would have an authentic South African meal, however the rest of the meals have been pretty standard.  For example, we were given sandwiches, fruit, chips, and a juice box for lunch yesterday, and today, we were given a cold hot dog, fruit, juice, and a candy bar.  It seems to me that people, specifically the South African cooks, are trying to live up to our standards.  Maybe they feel the need to make us feel more comfortable in their country, or maybe that is really what they eat for lunch.  Either way, I feel that we should live by their expectations and not the other way around.  We are guests in their country, and I personally feel we should adapt and learn to live by their set standards.  In my own opinion, I think that the only way to see the world from a different perspective is to walk in someone else's shoes.  I think I will get more of a feel of what this means next week when I meet my host family in Gugulethu.  As I mentioned before, this experience will for sure force me to step outside of my comfort zone and adapt to the standards of my family.  I can't wait to meet them:)  

Thanks for reading.  The next couple of days are filled with fun adventures:)  I can't wait to share them with you. 

Much love:)    

No comments:

Post a Comment